Friday, October 1, 2010

Yoga

As the wedding is approaching and is now 1 month away and I am thinking that my stress levels are at an all-time HIGH, I have been doing lots of reading on infertility and treatments and stress is a top reason to either miscarry or not get pregnant.  I was informed that 75% of women who participate in Yoga have a successful pregnancy with a healthy baby.  I know that I want to to everything in my power to alleviate any stresses during this time not only for my upcoming IVF cycle, but for my overall health. 

I have been doing research on pricing and locations to see which yoga experience would be the best and most convienient for me.  I thought it was sweet of Pat to offer to go with me to yoga to be supportive!  He is such a wonderful partner with everything.  I sure am blessed to have him in my life.  :)  Maybe he can try yoga one of these days...who knows, maybe he would enjoy it...I have several options to look into!  A majority of my research has come from "Pulling Down the Moon."  http://www.pullingdownthemoon.com/  They take a hollistic approach to infertility. I feel it supplements the IVF treatment very well.  They offer schedules online and work with you to make you feel like part of a family.  Even though there are so many negative sides to infertility.  I feel that infertilty has the LARGEST support group.  No matter who you are in the infertility world, I feel it an immediate bond with others that is similar to a bond of a family.  I love that I can talk openly about what is going on with others who are going through the exact same emotions, events, dr appointments, scares, and excitements as we are!

My goal is to start yoga this month!  I can not wait!  I have always wanted to try yoga, but now I feel it is essential for my health and for the conception of our first baby!  :)  If anybody has ANY advice on the yoga world, please share!  I would love to hear more thoughts on this!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Katie - and thanks for the shout-out! At Pulling Down the Moon our students report that they find that yoga is invaluable for their fertility journey. With all the recent media focus on the relationship between stress and fertility it seems to make sense to try to cultivate peace in our lives! On an physical level, yoga poses are fabulous for stretching tight muscles and helping to improve blood flow. Yet yoga goes much deeper with techniques of breathing and meditation that change the way we react to stressful situations - stopping stress at the source. My overall advice to someone who is exploring yoga for fertility is to work with a practitioner who has experience with the fertility process and understands the physical rigors of an ART cycle. I also wanted to say that I really appreciate your openness and willingness to share your journey with the community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a patient of Dr. Beltsos at FCI. I learned of your journey through my facebook connection to FCI. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you begin your journey. I recently started reading the book, Fully Fertile, written by the founders of Pulling Down the Moon. It has inspired me to start yoga. I actually ordered the Yoga For fertility dvd that is on the Pulling Down the Moon website. I tried it for the first time and really liked. it. Good luck in your search to find the Yoga class that is best for you.

    ReplyDelete