Monday, December 5, 2011

Pat, You're Up to Bat...

It's crazy to think that this summer, our cycle seemed like an eternity away.  It was strange because that patience I have lacked pretty much my entire life started to kick in.  I was finally not feeling a sense of "rushed" and kind of went to my own drum, letting the situation take it's course because when I finally stopped trying to control the my bad news train situation, things were falling into place all around me without effort. New job = new benefits, new egg donor, (good friend), new doctor, new ideas, support system growing exponentially, even helping me stock my inventory of drugs I was lacking a few of.  It's just been an amazing epiphany.

Egg retrieval is here! This is pretty much one of the most important steps of the process.  The quality of eggs is the #1 reason of diagnosed infertility. So basically what we are able to get here, gives us a good outcome of what is to come.  It all started at 3am this morning.  (Yep! I was up!)  I couldn't sleep...the same feelings a child gets on Christmas Eve.  I prayed, meditated, took time to reflect...it was rather nice...time actually was flying.  The stillness and peacefulness was just what I think I needed.  I had alot to pray and thank God for.  I also, poked Pat, (by the way - not looking to join me in my silences).  He was refusing to wake up until the alarms went off...understandably so...can't blame the guy! At 545 we were up showering and getting ready for what is the first major step of this process. Pat stayed in bed a tad bit longer to meditate to ease some of the pressure...yes, guys feel the pressure too.  Today was his day to shine. 

We arrive 15 minutes early and sign some papers and off Pat went with a grin on his face.  He always feels so self-conscious for this part. (teehee)

Samie was due to the office 45 minutes before us for her egg retrieval.  Side note: I texted her when I was up by myself to share my excitement pretty early...  I figured she would get a kick out of it when she woke up.  She was well into her procedure by the time we got there. Her boyfriend was waiting in the lobby waiting for her to finish up and help her recover. We were all in a quiet mood...it was before sunrise...he was a trooper.

For a space in time, I was alone in the lobby, Samie in one room, Pat in another, well there was the lab receptionist I guess.  I brought my St. Gerard medal and just held it and ran it through my fingers.  I took a few moments to look around and give the outcome of all of this to God.  I am letting everything go, and just letting it be, for I know this is all out of my control at this point and is all up to the big guy upstairs.  I looked around the room and could not believe the situation I had in front of me.  In one room, I had a husband who I love more than life itself, and in another room, I have a good friend who has been so kind enough to donate eggs to us.  I was surrounded by people full of love.  I thought about when I was a child that having this situation to deal with later in life would be a form of "shunning" or being "ashamed" (I was a child, I didn't know much about everything in the IVF world. I just knew I wouldn't be normal.)  There I was surrounded by love and support from everybody I know.  If only I could've told this to the 12-year-old girl in a hospital bed. :)

When Pat walked out, we were done and were told we would get a call later with the results from one of the IVF nurses...I knew Samie would text me as she was in the procedure room finishing up if she could, so we knew well before the "official" report. Her enthusiasm with this has been real high so she is eager to pass info to me relatively quickly.  Love that about her!  I love the whole known donor route...it has been much more fun knowing her and has been way less complicated! We couldn't be any happier with our situation!

As for the results, the goal was to get 12-15 eggs, but Dr. Scheiber was able to retrieve 18 EGGS from Samie! They looked nice and big which is a great sign!  WOOT WOOT!  I did a happy dance as I received Samie's text.  I was glowing from the inside out.  This news could not have been any better! Now we wait for the fertilization report and the daily reports after that to see how our little buggaboos are doing in the lab.  I can't wait to get these phone calls...  Also - we will get an idea of when our transfer will be.  Exciting!

Right now Pat and I are both excited and feel optimistic for this cycle.  Things have been moving smoothly for us. (for once!) We hope it stays this way...hopefully this could be the end of one journey and the start of another...right now we are wishing with everything we have for our miracle to happen; our dream to come true.

Thank you to all those who sent emails, texts, facebook messages, etc. to us at this time.  Your support brings such a nice calmness to us...just knowing we have friends and family out there thinking and praying for us everyday helps us feel our prayer network is working in full force.  I am a true believer in prayer networks...I know they work!  We love you all and would not be as strong as we are without all of you. :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so super excited for you. I just got an HSG today to check my fallopian tubes (a very sexy procedure if you are ever interested) and they all looked good. I found your blog and it inpsiured my own. Thanks for keeping those new to the process informed and educated! http://nje444.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete